Tuesday 18 May 2010

It’s official: men are filthy liars; women slightly less so

happy couple
From the Press Association 18/05/10:

According to the survey, the average male tells 1,092 lies every year - roughly three a day - and in so doing, he is less likely to suffer a guilty conscience than his female counterpart.

By contrast, the average woman will come out with 728 porkies per year - fibbing twice a day.

And while men said their lies were most likely to relate to their drinking habits, the most popular female falsehood is: "Nothing's wrong, I'm fine".

Yes.  Isn’t it just?  

According to the findings, people are most likely to spin a yarn to their mothers with 25% of men and 20% of women admitting to this.

By comparison, only 10% of respondents said they were likely to deceive their partners. But while 82% of females questioned said telling a lie ate away at their conscience, only 70% of men confessed to pangs of guilt. Some 75% of people polled agreed it was "ok" to fib to save someone's feelings.

I think it’s safe to assume that  the 82% of women who said a lie ate away at their conscience were either lying - or else women are just super-skilled at hiding it!  :p

"Lying may seem to be an unavoidable part of human nature but it's an important part of social interaction," said Katie Maggs, associate medical curator at the Science Museum, which commissioned the study. "The jury is still out as to whether human quirks like lying are the result of our genes, evolution or our upbringing."

3 lies a day for men isn’t too bad, I guess, but women were always going to come out on top, weren’t they?

And just for the record, I don’t tell any lies, but if I did, I would feel very guilty about it.

Honestly!

Don’t look at me like that!  ;-)

5 comments:

  1. 3 lies a day seems like quite a lot to me, especially if it's mostly about your drinking.

    Maybe this points to a more general malaise in the male population?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lot of lies! I don't lie, it's better not to :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, maybe I'm just a compulsive liar... my mother always told me so! :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never lie, I'm just selective with the truth :)

    ReplyDelete