Sunday 27 February 2011

Tbh, isn’t it time ‘sexting’ and ‘bloggable’ were added to the OED?

Teens SextingFrom PC Mag.com 26/02/11:

Bloggable neologisms like "tbh" and "sexting" have apparently cyberbullied their way into an Oxford dictionary.

The Oxford Dictionary Online - the modern language counterpart to the traditional Oxford English Dictionary - has added Web 2.0 jargon such as "bloggable," "cyberbullying," "sexting," "tbh" ("to be honest"),"clickjacking," "scareware," "trackpad," and "fnarr fnarr" to its collection.

But wait- fnarr fnarr? We had to look this one up. According to its OD entry, fnarr fnarr (pronounced fna fna) is British texting slang for sniggering, usually at a sexual innuendo.

Don’t worry, PC Mag - I hadn’t heard of this one either, and I’m British.  (I think).

Oxford provides the example: "That's some package! (Said the bishop to the actress, fnarr fnarr)." In America, we'd probably say something like, "That's some package! (That's what she said, LOL)."

Hehe… now ya talkin’ – that’s my kind of humour! Be right back

Spokeswoman Gabby Fletcher told the The Telegraph, "The rapid development of technology creates multiple new products, services, and functionalities, which all need new terms to describe them. We are also seeing the very fast circulation of new vocabulary on a global basis, with the expansion of social media."

Updated quarterly, the Oxford Dictionary Online features a growing number of tech terms. In August it added "tweetup" (a meeting arranged through Twitter), microblogging (posting short blog entries), and paywall (requiring payment to access online content).

But more to the point, when will “blawg”, “blawggable” and “blawgosphere” be added, I wonder?

4 comments:

  1. "But wait- fnarr fnarr? We had to look this one up."

    It must be a generation thing. Fnarr-Fnarr comes from Viz's Finbarr Saunders and his double entendres.

    As for, "and I’m British. (I think)."

    I know what you mean; it isn't a trivial question to answer: you've got to wade through Bradley and Ewing before coming up with something sensible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's generational, I'm older than my passport says because I'm your age Michael and I know what fnarr-fnarr means.

    Never used it in a text though. I've never been quick typing texts, perhaps I need to improve my wrist action.

    Fnarr-Fnarr.

    ReplyDelete
  3. exactly, asp. the creators of viz are roughly my age. finnbar was fnarr fnarring in the late 80s. delighted it has come round again for another generation to enjoy.

    i imagine also that many younger readers will be unaware of some of the excellent expressions in the roger mellie profanisaurus. dearie me! the delights of rude kid (catchphrase 'piss up a rope, fuckstick' or the simple and eloquent 'fanny batter') will be like the mysteries of the ancients to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Asp - don't worry, I've always been out of touch with popular phrases (or popular anything it seems).

    SW - hehe... I'm sure urban dictionary will help them out!

    ReplyDelete