Friday 1 May 2009

When Lawyers Panic

From the Times 30/04/09 – Lawyer of the Week (Jo Pizzala)

What was your worst day as a lawyer?

In a particularly awful domestic violence case, I suspected that a husband whom I was acting against was parking outside my office (he had been in prison for firearms offences). I called the police and an innocent man who was merely looking for a parking space for the dentist next door was cuffed and thrown across the bonnet of his car by the armed rapid response team.

‘Easily done’, I guess.  And ‘better safe than sorry’.  Any other tired clichéd phrases I can throw at it?  No, I think that will do for now.

2 comments:

  1. Shocking. You would think the police would have taken extra precautions to ensure that it was the right person and not an innocent bystander. One word: Menezes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wise words, CBC. The police are way too trigger-happy these days!

    ReplyDelete