Sofa Surfing turns deadly

sofa surfing injuriesI’m not sure if this has passed me by until now, or it genuinely is a new (albeit crazy) pastime.  I’ve certainly not seen any instances of it on the roads over here; I don’t think it’s the type of thing I would have forgotten.

Be right back

It’s possibly even more ridiculous than this.

From Sky News:

A young man has died after crashing into an oncoming car while "surfing" on a sofa being towed behind a van.

Francois Halle is believed to be the first victim of a craze called "couch surfing".

The 22-year-old was riding on a sofa, which had been placed on top of a sled and tied to the back of a van in Canada.

Mr Halle was killed when the driver lost control and the sofa swung into the path of a car going in the opposite direction.

A 21-year-old man has been accused of dangerous driving, causing death, fleeing the scene of an accident and criminal negligence causing death, CBC News has reported.

I’ve never had much of a sense of adventure, but surely there are less idiotic and dangerous ways for adrenaline junkies to get their fixes?

Then again, maybe it’s just natural selection in operation?

Comments

  1. Yes, I think a Darwin Award is certainly in order here, Michael.

    (By the way, I may be wrong, but that previous comment looks suspiciously like spam to me.)

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well spotted, John. I'm forever on the lookout for these pesky spammers and Rahul has been giving me a lot of unwanted attention recently. Bless 'im... it must be quite demoralising... no sooner has he posted a comment with his spammy link, he turns around and finds out I've deleted it.

    He'll learn sooner or later. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen people in Jamaica hanging on to the back of lorries and sort of hitching a ride using a skateboard - bloody dangerous IMO

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts