Sunday 11 March 2012

Sofa Surfing turns deadly

sofa surfing injuriesI’m not sure if this has passed me by until now, or it genuinely is a new (albeit crazy) pastime.  I’ve certainly not seen any instances of it on the roads over here; I don’t think it’s the type of thing I would have forgotten.

Be right back

It’s possibly even more ridiculous than this.

From Sky News:

A young man has died after crashing into an oncoming car while "surfing" on a sofa being towed behind a van.

Francois Halle is believed to be the first victim of a craze called "couch surfing".

The 22-year-old was riding on a sofa, which had been placed on top of a sled and tied to the back of a van in Canada.

Mr Halle was killed when the driver lost control and the sofa swung into the path of a car going in the opposite direction.

A 21-year-old man has been accused of dangerous driving, causing death, fleeing the scene of an accident and criminal negligence causing death, CBC News has reported.

I’ve never had much of a sense of adventure, but surely there are less idiotic and dangerous ways for adrenaline junkies to get their fixes?

Then again, maybe it’s just natural selection in operation?

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I think a Darwin Award is certainly in order here, Michael.

    (By the way, I may be wrong, but that previous comment looks suspiciously like spam to me.)

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well spotted, John. I'm forever on the lookout for these pesky spammers and Rahul has been giving me a lot of unwanted attention recently. Bless 'im... it must be quite demoralising... no sooner has he posted a comment with his spammy link, he turns around and finds out I've deleted it.

    He'll learn sooner or later. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen people in Jamaica hanging on to the back of lorries and sort of hitching a ride using a skateboard - bloody dangerous IMO

    ReplyDelete